Hosting a Student
A Student For One Term - Five Years
South Australian Government Schools arrange home stay accommodation for International high school students while they are studying abroad in South Australia. As a local family hosting an International student, you will have the chance to:
- learn about other cultures, customs and traditions
- make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
- participate in activities and meet other host families
- explore fun things to see and do in South Australia
- try a new language
International high school students can enrol in programs ranging from 1 term to 5 years. Students are carefully matched with home stay families according to the school the student will be attending, in addition to family preferences and the student's individual needs.
What is involved?
When hosting an International student, they become a member of the family. The student will be a long way from home and in the care of the family. Families will be expected to provide students with a safe, supportive and welcoming home environment. A home stay family will be required to provide:
- furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
- all meals
- use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
- internet access
- use of facilities (e.g. access to TV, iron, vacuum cleaner)
- support the student in their studies
- monitor the student's health and well-being
- accept duty of care for the student outside of school hours
- negotiate reasonable expectations of behaviour inside and outside the home
- notify South Australian Government Schools of any changes in family circumstances (e.g. illness, separation, family members returning home, new partner, moving house, planning holidays)
- notify South Australian Government Schools if you are hosting other students from other education institutions
To help you along the way, South Australian Government Schools offers ongoing support to all homestay families and provides a 24 hour emergency phone service.
Current weekly home stay fees:
- single room $280
- shared room is also an option
* Please note home stay fees do not include:
- phone usage
- personal items
If the student is participating in the High School Graduate Program, a room holding fee is charged when they are absent from the home on holidays. This ensures that the student's room remains exclusive to them.
It is the responsibility of the student and their parents to cover the cost of any damage and/or outstanding payments prior to leaving your home.
How to become a host
Before you can host a student in your home, you must become an accredited home stay for South Australian Government Schools. This straightforward process includes:
- completion of the Home stay Application Form*
- approved criminal history screening from the Department for Families and Communities (DFC) for every person over 18 years of age residing in your home (which is reviewed every 3 years)
- a visit and interview by one of our accommodation officers to meet your family and assess the facilities in your home
- your attendance at periodic home stay information workshops organised by South Australian Government School
South Australian Government Schools will provide you with support and assistance during your time as a host family. The home stay workshops are held three times a year.
The workshops provide both new and experienced home stay families with information that will assist you in your role. Workshops cover a variety of topics and activities and are a great way to meet other home stays and keep up with any changes to the program. Your family will be invited to attend as soon as you become an accredited home stay. Contract details are below for workshops
International Education Services
Ground Floor West
31 Flinders Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: +61 8 8226 3402
Fax: +61 8 8226 3655
0401 121 611